Below you’ll find some of the best resources for Motivational Interviewing. Check back often as we update this section with the latest books, references and websites on this an other relevant topics.
1. Miller, WR, and Rollnick, S. Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change, 3rd Edition. The Guilford Press: New York, 2013.
|2. Steinberg, Marc P. and Miller, William R. Motivational Interviewing in Diabetes Care. New York, New York: The Guilford Press. August 2015.|
|3. Wagner, Christopher C. and Ingersoll Karen S. Motivational Interviewing in Groups. The Guilford Press: New York, 2013.|
|4. Dart, M. A. Motivational interviewing in nursing practice: Empowering the patient. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett. 2010.|
|5. Rosengren, DB. Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook. The Guilford Press: New York, 2009.|
|6. Rollnick, S, Miller, WR, and Butler, CC. Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior. The Guilford Press: New York, 2008.|
- Julia Bóveda-Fontán, et al. Effectiveness of Motivational Interviewing in Patients with Dyslipidemia: a Randomized Cluster Trial. BMC Family Practice 2015 16:151.
- Diane Orr Chlebowy, et al. Motivational Interviewing to Improve Diabetes Outcomes in African Americans Adults with Diabetes. Western Journal of Nursing Research May 1, 2015 37:566-580.
- Suzanne Barker-Collo, et al. Improving Adherence to Secondary Stroke Prevention Strategies Through Motivational Interviewing: Randomized Controlled Trial. Stroke, December 1, 2015 46:3451-3458.
- Pollak, K. I., Nagy, P., Bigger, J., Bilheimer, A., Lyna, P., Gao, X., Armstrong, S. (2015). Effect of teaching motivational interviewing via communication coaching on clinician and patient satisfaction in primary care and pediatric obesity-focused offices. Patient Education and Counseling. 10.1016/j.pec.2015.08.013
- Moyers, Theresa B. The relationship in motivational interviewing. Psychotherapy, Vol 51(3), Sep 2014, 358-363. Special Section: Relational Foundations of Psychotherapy.
- Benzo R, Vickers K, Ernst D, Tucker S, McEvoy C & Lorig K. Development and feasibility of a self-management intervention for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease delivered with motivational interviewing strategies. JCRP 2013; 33(2):113-121.
- Easthall C, Song F, Bhattacharya D. A metaanalysis of cognitive-based behaviour change techniques as interventions to improve medication adherence. BMJ Open 2013;3:e002749. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002749.
- Hardcastle et al. Effectiveness of a motivational interviewing intervention on weight loss, physical activity and cardiovascular disease risk factors: a randomized controlled trial with a 12-month post-intervention follow-up. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2013, 10:40.
- Lundahl B, et al. Motivational interviewing in medical care settings: A systematic review and metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. Patient Educ Couns (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.07.012
- Sonntag U1, Wiesner J, Fahrenkrog S, Renneberg B, Braun V, Heintze C. Motivational interviewing and shared decision making in primary care. Patient Educ Couns. 2012 Apr;87(1):62-6.
- Elizabeth E. Stewart, PhD, and Chester Fox, MD. Encouraging Patients to Change Unhealthy Behaviors with Motivational Interviewing. Fam Pract Manag. 2011 May-June;18(3):21-25.
- David R Thompson, et al. Motivational interviewing: A useful approach to improving cardiovascular health? J Clin Nurs. 2011 May;20(9-10):1236-44. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03558.x.
- Marc Steinberg, MD, FAAP. Clinical Perspectives on Motivational Interviewing in Diabetes Care. Diabetes Spectrum August 2011 vol. 24 no. 3 179-181.
- Kathy Berra, MSN, NP-C, FAHA, FAANP, FAAN. Challenges of Changing Lifestyle to Reduce Risk for Cardiovascular Disease. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. Vol. 25, No. 3, pp 223Y227 2010.
- Nancy Houston Miller, RN, BSN, FAHA. Motivational Interviewing as a Prelude to Coaching in Healthcare Settings. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. Vol. 25, No. 3, pp 247Y251 2010.
- Van Nes M1, Sawatzky JA. Improving cardiovascular health with motivational interviewing: A nurse practitioner perspective. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010 Dec;22(12):654-60. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2010.00561.x.
- Miller, W.R. & Rollnick, S. (2009). Ten Things that Motivational Interviewing Is Not. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 37, 129–140.
- Delia Smith West, PHD, et al. Motivational Interviewing Improves Weight Loss in Women With Type 2 Diabetes. Published ahead of print at http://care.diabetesjournals.org on 2 March 2007. DOI: 10.2337/dc06-1966. Clinical trial reg. no. NCT00007800, clinicaltrials.gov.
- Rubak S, Sandbæk A, Lauritzen T, and Christensen B. Motivational interviewing: a systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of General Practice, April 2005.
- Maria K. Poirier, MD, et al. Teaching Motivational Interviewing to First-Year Medical Students to Improve Counseling Skills in Health Behavior Change. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. March 2004, Volume 79, Issue 3, Pages 327–331.
- Eileen Britt, et al. Motivational interviewing in health settings: A review. Patient Education and Counseling (Impact Factor: 2.2). 06/2004; 53(2):147-55. Source: PubMed
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT):
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) Bibliography: